1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion – chopped
2 or 3 courgettes dependant on size – chopped into small pieces
400g streaky bacon – cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon chilli – fresh, dried, paste, ready chopped – doesn’t matter. More if you like things hotter.
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
salt and pepper
200g pasta – any type
1 slice bread – toasted and made into breadcrumbs
50g grated cheddar cheese
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions
2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, courgettes, bacon and chilli.
3. When the vegetables are soft and the bacon is no longer raw, add the tomatoes and chilli. Half fill the empty tomato tin with cold water and add that to the pan. Add the mixed herbs and seasoning. Bring to the boil then simmer until the pasta is cooked.
4. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce mixture. Give everything a good stir. The tip it all into a large oven proof dish.
5. Heat the oven to 180c/Gas 5 and put the pasta bake in the oven for 10minutes. During this time toast the slice of bread and let it cool before making it into breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheddar to the crumbs and stir well.
6. After the 10 minutes is up, take the pasta bake out of the oven and cover with the breadcrumb mixture.
7. Put it back in the oven for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
8. Serve 🙂